What is the Bader International Bursary?
The Bader International Bursary is awarded to students to enable them to participate in the Independent Summer Program at Bader College - Herstmonceux Castle, England, for University of Toronto degree credit.
Read more about studying at Herstmonceux Castle as a Victoria College student.
Up to $13,500 of full funding for the Castle Summer Plus program; multiple bursaries are available.
Who is eligible?
- Open to undergraduate students of all colleges in the Faculty of Arts & Science.
- Preference is given to students registered at Victoria College.
- Applicants must be Ontario residents who demonstrate financial need (i.e. OSAP recipients).
How to Apply
1. Review the detailed information on the Learning Abroad website.
2. Apply for a Letter of Permission from the UofT Office of the Faculty Registrar. Be sure to upload your letter of permission for study at Bader College to your OSAP application.
3. Submit the Study Abroad Award Application below by May 1.
- Early applications are welcome!
- Be sure to upload your program admission documentation and your most recent OSAP notice of assessment.
- If approved, you will be required to submit a screenshot of your flight booking prior to the release of any funding.
- Beautiful & historical location including the castle and surrounding gardens
- Interdisciplinary learning opportunities
- Travelling opportunities (e.g. field study courses combined with travelling days, mid-term trips to Oxford, Edinburgh, or Paris)
- Active learning in a variety of settings such as museums, moot courts, debates, walking tours and guest lectures
- Low student-to-faculty ratio
- Engaging and passionate professors
- Many concurrent events and cultural opportunities (e.g. medieval festival, open-air production of Hamlet, Glindbourne open-air opera festival)
- The program is conducive to socializing with other students
- An immersive living and learning environment
- Robust student support
- Interactive and innovative experiential learning
- International and intercultural focus
History of the Bursary
Donors: Dr Isabel Louise (Overton) Bader (1926-2022) of the Victoria College Class of 1949 and her husband, Dr Alfred Bader (1924-2018); the Ontario Student Opportunity Trust Fund; the University of Toronto Endowment Adjustment Fund. Established in 1998.
COVID-19 Study Abroad Info
Please refer to the latest COVID-19 Information from the University of Toronto about Study Abroad.
"To say that this experience has truly been life-changing is an understatement. Bader College gave me memories to last a lifetime – from incredible instructors with small class sizes to suit, a fantastic student environment, and a beautiful setting in Herstmonceux Castle, with the rest of Europe at your fingertips. This was made possible for me through the Bader International Bursary. I wholeheartedly recommend that you apply and I promise that you will have the experience of a lifetime!" - Lukas Urban, 2023 recipient.
Banner image courtesy of Mark Wordy.