Victoria College encourages students to gain international experience by participating in international study opportunities.
New for 2022! Vic Global Internships offers travel funding for experiential learning including internships, work-integrated placements, research experiences, and fieldwork.
Please refer to the latest COVID-19 Information from the University of Toronto about Study Abroad. For additional updates from the university related to COVID-19, please visit the VP Students COVID-19 FAQ page.
- If you are granted funding, please confirm your travel plans with the University of Toronto Safety Abroad Office prior to booking your trip. Funding will only be issued to you upon the approval of the Safety Abroad office.
1. Eligible Programs
You can apply for funding for course-credit-approved activities including:
- The University of Toronto Centre for International Experience exchanges
- Summer Abroad courses
- independent study abroad experiences
- international field trips required by academic programs
- academic research opportunities
- academic conference presentations (for non-credit purposes are acceptable)
Students who are pursuing independent research or study abroad must be officially enrolled in a University of Toronto course on ACORN (or have pre-approval or a Letter of Permission for the course from their program departments) before applying for a Victoria College study abroad bursary.
Other travel funds may be available through the Dean's Experience Enhancement Fund which provides financial assistance for non-credit/out-of-classroom experiences. Contact the Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for application information.
Values vary according to student need and funds available.
- up to $2,500 for summer/one term
- up to $4,000 for full-year exchange
- first-time applicants are given priority
- students who hold full-ride scholarships (i.e. National Scholars or Lester B. Pearson Scholars) are not eligible to apply for this funding
Confirmation of your registration or participation in the intended study abroad course/program will be required prior to the release of any approved funding.
If a study abroad bursary is granted, the amount will be applied first towards any outstanding tuition, incidental or residence fees in your student account.
- Any credit amount remaining will be issued to you as a refund.
- Set up direct deposit on ACORN with a Canadian bank account to receive any eligible refunds from the University of Toronto Student Accounts Office.
- Please allow up to two weeks for the funds to be processed to your student account.
- Subsequently, refunds by direct deposit can take up to three business days to be transferred to your personal bank account.
- If there is no direct deposit set up, a refund cheque will be produced and sent to the current Canadian mailing address (as listed on ACORN).
Students may be expected to repay all or part of their bursary if they withdraw from the study abroad or exchange program for which the funds were intended.
Students are required to register with the UofT Safety Abroad Database prior to their departure.
Students may apply for general study abroad bursary funds. There are specific bursaries that provide support to students going to a particular location (listed below). Students who would like to be considered for a specific bursary should indicate the name of the bursary in the personal statement of the online bursary application. Due to the availability of funds, some bursaries may not be offered every year.
See all Vic Awards for International Study Abroad
If the award terms do not explicitly mention financial need, the recipient's name and the name of their award will be printed in Victoria University publications. These publications will be shared with our donors and others in the university community.
- The Bader International Bursary (up to $13,500 for one term): Awarded to students to enable them to participate in the International Studies Program at Herstmonceux, England, for University of Toronto degree credit. Open to students of all colleges in the Faculty of Arts and Science of the University of Toronto, with preference is given to students registered at Victoria College.
- The Coburn Fellowship Award (up to $20,000): Awarded to enable a Humanities or Fine Arts student of any college to study at Tel-Aviv University or at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel.
- NEW! The Sheila Cook International Experience Scholarship: Awarded to Victoria College students who have achieved high academic standing, and who have been accepted to study abroad through a U of T-approved program. Preference will be given to students in the Education & Society minor program, those studying at the Beijing Foreign Studies University, and those in financial need.
- The David Keeling International Award: Awarded to Victoria College undergraduate students for approved study abroad, with a preference for those attending a university in the United Kingdom.
- The Ruth Hilliard Myers Award: Awarded to a Victoria College student to study French language and literature at Sorbonne University, Paris, or another comparable university program in France.
- The Olga and Guido Pugliese Award for Study in Italy: Awarded to undergraduate students studying, undertaking research, or attending conferences in Italy. Preference will be given to Victoria College students and/or students enrolled in a Renaissance Studies Program.
- Susan McDonald Award/Roseann Runte Award (limited funds available): Awarded to Victoria College students who completed their first year, but who have not yet graduated, for the purpose of travel to present an academic paper, related to their studies, at national or international conferences.
4. Application Deadlines
- Fall term departure: August 15
- Winter term departure: December 1
- Summer session departure: May 1
- Coburn Fellowship Award for studies in Israel: March 1
5. How to Apply
If applicable, please apply only after being admitted to the exchange or summer abroad program, and after you receive your Centre for International Experience or Summer Abroad Bursary and/or OSAP funding decision.
- You will need your UTORid and password to access the online application.
- Please draft your responses ahead of time as the online application does not allow you to save your entries.
- Where applicable, please indicate the U of T course code for your study abroad course.
- All financial values should be rounded up - do not enter any decimal values.
- Upload copies of your exchange program admission letter, other funding approvals, and/or screenshots of your flight booking as supporting documentation.
- Remember to print a copy of your application for your records prior to submission.
- Allow 3-4 weeks for the application to be reviewed and assessed.
- Decision notices will be sent by email.
Inquiries: email email@example.com and include your student number.