Please refer to the latest COVID-19 Information from the University of Toronto about Study Abroad.
- At present, students may only apply for Vic study abroad awards in support of programs taking place abroad on or after December 31, 2021.
- If you are granted funding, please confirm your travel plans with the University of Toronto Safety Abroad Office prior to booking your trip. Funding will only be issued to you upon the approval of the Safety Abroad office.
Awards for International Experience
Victoria College encourages students to gain international experience by participating in study abroad including University of Toronto Centre for International Experience exchanges, the Summer Abroad courses, independent study abroad experiences, international field trips required by academic programs, academic research opportunities and conference presentations.
Students may be eligible to receive financial aid from Victoria College to help fund these international experiences in the form of International Experience Awards. Values vary according to student need and funds available (up to $2,500 for summer/one term, or up to $4,000 for full-year exchange). First-time applicants will be given priority.
Students who are pursuing independent research or study abroad must be officially enrolled in a University of Toronto course on ACORN (or have pre-approval for the course from their program departments) before applying for a Victoria College study abroad bursary.
Confirmation of your registration or participation in the intended study abroad course/program will be required prior to the release of any approved funding.
If a study abroad bursary is granted, the amount will be applied first towards any outstanding tuition, incidental or residence fees in your student account. Any credit amount remaining will be issued to you as a refund. Direct deposit is the preferred method of issuing refunds by the University of Toronto Student Accounts Office, and may be set up on ACORN. Refunds may also be sent to the current mailing address (as listed on ACORN). Please allow five to ten business days for the bursary funds to be processed to your student account. Students may be expected to repay all or part of their bursary if they withdraw from the study abroad or exchange program for which the funds were intended.
Other travel funds may be available through the Dean's Experience Enhancement Fund which provides financial assistance for out-of-classroom experiences. Contact the Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for application information.
- Fall term departure: August 15
- Winter term departure: December 1
- Summer session departure: May 1
- Coburn Fellowship Award for studies in Israel: March 1
Students may apply for general study abroad bursary funds. There are specific bursaries which provide support to students going to a particular location (listed below). Students who would like to be considered for a specific bursary should indicate the name of the bursary in the personal statement of the online bursary application. Due to the availability of funds, some bursaries may not be offered every year.
- The Bader International Bursary (up to $10,000): Awarded to students to enable them to participate in the International Studies Program at Herstmonceux, England, for University of Toronto degree credit. Preference is given to students registered at Victoria College. Students of other colleges in the Faculty of Arts and Science of the University of Toronto may also apply.
- The Coburn Fellowship Award (up to $20,000): Awarded to enable a Humanities or Fine Arts student of any college to study at Tel-Aviv University or at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel.
- The Sheila Cook International Experience Scholarship: Awarded to Victoria College students who have achieved high academic standing, and who have been accepted to study abroad through a U of T approved program. Preference will be given to students in the Education & Society minor program, those studying at the Beijing Foreign Studies University, and those with financial need.
- The David Keeling Award: Awarded to Victoria College undergraduate students for approved study abroad, with a preference for those attending a university in the United Kingdom.
- The Ruth Hilliard Myers Award: Awarded to a Victoria College student to study French language and literature at the Sorbonne University, Paris, or another comparable university program in France.
- The Olga and Guido Pugliese Award for Study in Italy: Awarded to undergraduate students studying, undertaking research, or attending conferences in Italy. Preference will be given to Victoria College students and/or students enrolled in a Renaissance Studies Program.
- Susan McDonald Award/Roseann Runte Award (limited funds available): Awarded to Victoria College students who completed first year, but who have not yet graduated, for the purpose of travel to present an academic paper, related to their studies, at national or international conferences.
Safety Abroad: All students are encouraged to register with the UofT Safety Abroad Database prior to their departure.
To access the secure online application, you will need your UTORid and password for authentication. Please draft your responses ahead of time as the online application does not allow you to save your entries. Where applicable, please indicate the U of T course code for your study abroad course. All financial values should be rounded up - do not enter any decimal values. Remember to print a copy of your application for your records prior to submission.
If applicable, please apply only after being admitted to the exchange or summer abroad program, and after you receive your Centre for International Experience or Summer Abroad Bursary funding decision.
Please forward any updates to email@example.com as soon as possible, including copies of admission letters to the intended exchange/study abroad program, other funding approvals, and screenshots of your flight booking as documentation.
Please complete the Vic Study Abroad Award Application and submit it to the Registrar's Office in NF106 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please allow 3-4 weeks for the application to be reviewed and assessed. Decision notices will be sent by email.
Publication of Approved Awards: If the award terms do not explicitly mention financial need, the recipient's name and the name of their award will be printed in Victoria University publications. These publications will be shared with our donors and others in the university community.
Inquiries about awards, email email@example.com.