Office Phone: 416-978-1804
Office Location: VC 110
Office Hours and/or Leave Status: Wednesdays, 1–2 p.m.
BASc - Engineering Science (University of Toronto)
PhD - Electrical Engineering (University of Toronto)
Emanuel Istrate is the coordinator of the Arthur Schawlow Stream in Physical Sciences of the Vic One program at Victoria College.
He received his Ph.D. in Photonics from the University of Toronto in 2005. After a brief post-doctoral fellowship working on the nonlinear optical properties of quantum dots, he joined the Institute for Optical Sciences as the Academic Programs Coordinator where he set up a number of courses and training programs for students studying optics at all levels of the University, including a popular holography course. More recently, he has contributed to the Impact Centre’s entrepreneurship and industry collaboration programs. He has delivered a number of projects for industrial collaborators, using his expertise in optical and electronic systems.
His area of technical expertise is in optics and the propagation of light waves. His teaching also includes the social aspects of the work of scientists, the responsibilities of scientists to the rest of society, entrepreneurship, and the techniques that makes science researchers more effective in their work.
- Istrate and R.J.D. Miller, “A Holography Course in Toronto,” Education and Training in Optics and Photonics, July 2009.
- Istrate and R.J.D. Miller, “Education Programs of the Institute for Optical Sciences at the University of Toronto,” Education and Training in Optics and Photonics, July 2009.
- Istrate, S. Hoogland, V. Sukhovatkin, L.Levina, S. Myrskog, P.W.E. Smith and E.H. Sargent, “Carrier recombination dynamics in lead sulfide colloidal quantum dots,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 10, pages 2757-2760,2008.
- Istrate, A. S. Helmy, J. Sipe, M. C. Gohand and R.J.D. Miller, “University of Toronto Institute for Optical Sciences collaborative program in optics,” Education and Training in Optics and Photonics, June 2007.
- Istrate and E.H. Sargent, “Photoniccrystal heterostructures and interfaces,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 78, no. 2, pages 455-481, 2006.
- Istrate, A.A. Green and E.H. Sargent,“Behaviour of light at photonic crystal interfaces,” Physical Review B, vol.71, no. 195122, pages 195122-1-7, May 2005.
- E. Istrate and E.H. Sargent, “Measurement of the phase shift upon reflection from photonic crystals,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 151112, pages 151112-1-3, April 2005.
- E. Istrate and E.H. Sargent, “Photonic crystalwaveguide analysis using interface boundary conditions,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 41, no. 3, pages 461-467, March 2005.