Students in the Material Culture program work with artefacts with origins from antiquity to the present, as encountered in the museum or everyday life. Students learn a variety of disciplinary and theoretical approaches to objects. They consider objects in their social and cultural life as well as in contexts of preservation, representation, aesthetic and economic use. Students work with artefacts both inside and outside the classroom. Courses in the program feature opportunities for critical discussion and for lab learning, work in archives and collections, and encounters with objects in commercial, everyday and ritual settings.This Minor complements Major programs in such disciplines as Asian Studies, Near and Middle Eastern Studies, Geography, History, Art, History of Science and Technology, Semiotics, Renaissance Studies and Anthropology. Students may use their Major or Specialist programs as a base for their study of material culture. They can personalize their program in part through pursuing available Internship possibilities.
|Professor Michael Chazan
|Chris de Barros
Academic Liaison Officer
To acquire a Minor in the Material Culture Program, you'll need to complete a total of 4.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCEs), including at least 1.0 FCE at the 300+ level.
- Only 1.0 FCEs (at most) from the 100 Level will be counted towards your total
- Up to 1.0 FCEs may be chosen from approved courses offered by other departments (see list of Cognate Courses below)
Requirement 1 | Introductory Material Culture courses
Requirement 2 | Upper-year courses
You must complete 2.5 FCEs from the list below, with at least 0.5 FCEs at the 300+ level.
- VIC224Y1 (if not used to fulfill requirement 1)
- VIC225Y1 (if not used to fulfill requirement 1)
- or cognate courses (see below) up to a limit of 1.0 FCEs.
You must also complete VIC444H1.
List of cognate courses:
Victoria College Courses
- Students who achieve at least 77% in Vic One courses VIC183H1 or VIC184H1 may count one of these toward the Minor and use it to fulfil this requirement