Office Phone : 416-585-4483
Office Location: Birge Carnegie Library Room 28
Office Hours and/or Leave Status: TBA
Degrees: BA Classics (Honours) University of Alberta, MA, PhD, Classical Studies, University of Michigan
Professor Alison Keith has taught at the University of Toronto since 1988 in classics and women’s studies and has been a fellow of Victoria College since 1989. She has written extensively about the intersection of gender and genre in Latin literature and ancient Roman society, and is the author of four books and the editor or co-editor of another five. Current projects include a book on Virgil for I.B. Tauris in their series ‘Understanding Classics;’ a commentary on the forth book of Ovid’s Metamorphoses for Cambridge University Press; and a SSHRC-funded book on the reception of Ovid’s Metamorphoses in imperial Latin epic poetry. She has held research fellowships at Clare Hall Cambridge, in the UK(1994–1995); Albert-Ludwigs Universität Freiburg, in Germany (1999–2000); and the National Humanities Center in North Carolina (2007–2008). In the past she has served as editor of Phoenix, Journal of the Classical Association of Canada (2002–07); president of the Classical Association of Canada(2010–2012); acting director of the Women and Gender Studies Institute (2007)and chair of the Department of Classics (2007–2013), both at the University of Toronto. She is currently co-editor (with Jonathan Edmondson) of the Phoenix Supplementary Series (2008– )and the General Editor (with Ingrid Holmberg) of the sub-series Phoenix Studies in Gender (2001–).
- Co-editor (with J. Fabre-Serris), Women and War in Antiquity. Baltimore: John’s Hopkins University Press, 2015.
- Guest Editor, Mouseion 11.3 (2014), Inmemoriam John William Geyssen.
- A Latin Epic Reader. Selections from Ten Epics. MundeleinIL: Bolchazy-Carducci, 2012.
- Editor, Latin Elegy and Hellenistic Epigram.Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press 2011.
- Propertius,Poet of Love and Leisure. Classical Literature& Society. London: Duckworth, 2008.
- Co-editor (with J. Edmondson) Roman Dress and the Fabrics of Roman Culture. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2008.
- Co-editor (with S. Rupp) Metamorphosis: The Changing Face of Ovid in Medieval and Early Modern Europe. Toronto: Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, 2007.
- Engendering Rome: Women in Latin Epic. Roman Literature and its Contexts. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- The Play of Fictions: Studies in Ovid’s Metamorphoses Book 2. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1992.